Angkor
Photographs can't prepare you for the majesty of the Angkor temples of Cambodia. They focus on either the vast scale of the ruins - miles of walls and terraces, towers that reach hundreds of feet into the sky - or the intricacy of their carvings. Photos fail to convey the fact that almost every square foot of the ruins is covered by some sort of carved artwork; there are more than 12,000 square feet of bas reliefs at Angkor Wat alone, and hundreds of thousands of smaller carvings of kings, warriors, daily life and Hindu mythology litter the temples. They are more majestic than any other monument I've seen, period.
That said, I had hoped to upload a couple of photos of Angkor, as well as some belated ones from Vietnam. Unfortunately, the internet connection in this country is slow, and my computer has tried unsuccessfully for the past 90 minutes to upload one small Hanoi street scene. I think it'll just have to wait until Thailand. In the meantime, both Meryl and I are having an amazing time here in Cambodia.
2 Comments:
Have you ever noticed the rubbing over my bed. It is of Jayavarman V!! going out to fight the Thais. He lost. However the parasols and everything is very iinteresting.
Love, Grannie
Hi you two,
The pictures from the resort website in Thailand look terrific - and very relaxing and beautiful. Thanks for letting us know where you are - will call soon.
Love,
Mom/Charity
Post a Comment
<< Home